Sunday, May 18, 2008

Reducing Food Miles


A few weeks ago we picked up an organic spaghetti squash to try out a new recipe and since my choices at the store were organic imported from Mexico and non-organic imported from Honduras, I opted for the organic. Well the food miles on something like that is pretty high but not much worse then coming from California I suppose. Well as I scooped out the seeds I decided that one way to cut some food miles on this squash was to save to seeds! Why not? They are organic and obviously able to grow in warm climates! I have saved probably 30 or more seeds, cleaned, dryed and stored nice and safe. Just to make sure that they were viable I planted four and now I have three healthy growing sprouts ready to go into the ground. So the next few spaghetti squash I eat will have zero food miles. That should cut down the mileage a bit!

No comments: